Monday, November 17, 2008

Project of the Week! Articulated limbs :D


I fully admit it. I have been a total slacker on the project of the week. A lot has been happening here in Lea-land and I lost track. But I'm back! For now anyway :D This week's project is how to make your drawings (or photos!) into articulated people! Fun! If you're wondering how this translates into a gift, well, they make great party favors (for the heads, use photos of your guests), puppets (attach a popsicle stick or wooden dowel to the back, hands, and feet), cards (see my greeting card at the end of the article), and more.

For the project example, I used my own drawing, but if you don't feel confident in your drawing skills, take a photo of your subject with their arms and legs spread out wide. Print it out on cardstock and cut it apart in a similar way to the drawings I show below. Let's get started!



First of all you will need:
Paper (the heavier the better, I like to use #110 card stock or heavy sketchbook paper)
Markers, pens, paints, crayons, and/or colored pencils
Mini brads
Hole punch that makes tiny little holes (this and the brads can be bought at any craft supply store)
*You can skip the hole punch and use the tip of an exacto blade or an awl instead if you want to.

Draw out your character's torso, making the arms and legs into separate pieces. Make sure the shoulders have a round area sticking out so that you will have something to attach your arms to!


Using your choice of medium, color her/him in! Yay! After coloring, cut out all of the pieces.


Now it's time to punch your holes. You will need a hole in each shoulder (the round part sticking out), on both ends of the upper arms and upper legs, on one end of the lower arms and on one end of the lower legs. My girl is wearing a dress, so I wanted her legs to attach behind the dress. The brads become part of the dress' decoration.


Insert brads as shown, and you are done! You will be amazed at how much character and personality your drawing has when put in different positions.

Greeting card, 2008, by Lea Keohane. All Rights Reserved.

4 comments:

Kim Caro said...

very cool thanks for sharing the process. wow its so awesome :)

Megan said...

Cool project! I don't think you are slacking at all. I didn't comment last week, but I'm sure that will be your best project!!!

maoiliosa said...

ooo that card is so cute!

sorry i've been m.i.a. the past few days - food poisoning, ewww!

love you!

Unknown said...

love this project! you know how much i love these dolls. bookmarking this one to teach to the kids!~