Saturday, March 14, 2009

Saturday Crafty-ness!

What to do on a cold, rainy March Saturday? Why, make your own dry-erase boards, of course! Heehee, I'm a dork, I know, but a couple of days ago Indigo and I bought a 2-lb container of strawberries. May sound like a lot, but in this house strawberries don't have a chance and we finished them off last night. I was about to throw the container--one of those clear plastic clamshell thingies--into the recycling when I remembered that I really need a dry erase board. That, and it's Saturday, and we've already been to the movie theater today (we saw Bedtime Stories), and it's raining and cruddy out, and we needed a project to finish off our afternoon.

Here are the basic steps:
Cut out a rectangle (or any other shape!) from the clamshell. It has to be smooth and flat, or the dry-erase markers won't erase.

Cut out a piece of white poster board (or matt board) the same size as your clear plastic.

Using a stapler, staple the plastic and the poster board together on all four edges. It doesn't have to be perfect--your frame will cover it up.

Take 4 wide popsicle sticks or strips of wood and measure how long you want them to be around your board. If you're using popsicle sticks, you can probably cut them to size with scissors.

Paint the popsicle sticks! We used acrylic paints, but you could use tempera or watercolor, or even decopage them.

It is really stinky, but I used E6000 to glue the popsicle sticks to the plastic side of the boards. It sticks to plastic better than hot glue.

I also used E6000 to glue a couple of magnets to the back of the boards, so they will stick to the fridge or the inside of a locker. Pretty cool, huh?

I have heard that you can also use this kind of plastic to make your own shrinky dinks, which will probably be my next project when we have another container to recycle. It makes me feel a lot better to be able to use this kind of stuff and not just throw it away. Even in a recycling container, where I am not sure whether it will actually be recycled or not. Now, to go pick up those aliens...

10 comments:

Leah said...

excellent project for a cruddy day!

Amanda said...

This is so cool! I'd love to try out the shrinky-dink idea too. You're so creative. ;)

Anitra Cameron said...

What a great idea! I'll be sending the link to my kids and others. Thanks for sharing it!

PS Glad Buckman went so well for you!

maoiliosa said...

what a neat idea! i'll have to give that a try!

and aliens? you're so silly ;).

autumn said...

My boys fight over the one we have all the time. How fun it would be for them to each make there own and out of something we get all the time! Perfection lady!

cjbc said...

Cute project!

Anonymous said...

Great rainy day activity with kiddos!

Unknown said...

you the best crafty mom ever. what a great project. can't wait to see the shrinky dink projects!~

Krazy Kate Designs said...

How cool is that. I think you are one of the best Moms around!

LeaKarts said...

Aw! Thanks everyone! :)