Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Week 2--I made it!

Wow, last week was a week from hell! But a good learning experience. It was my first week officially working from home; no other job to go to, my art show was over so no mad rush of that sort to deal with.... I had lots to do and I was exited to do it! Then, Tuesday, it struck me. 4am I woke up with the nastiest case of the stomach flu that I've had in over a decade. I couldn't even leave the house to bring my daughter to school.
Thankfully, her dad came by and picked her up. Then I had to call a close friend to bring over sick supplies--Pepto Bismal, Gatorade, and...ugh!...toilet paper!!! I'm so glad I have friends that are good enough to bring over toilet paper...sheesh.
Well, luckily it was a 12 hour deal because I got absolutely no work done that day. But unlike working for the man, you can't just come back to work the next day and pick up where you left off. I had a huge deadline on Friday and I'd lost a whole day's worth of work. So I spent every possible waking moment catching up! By Friday, I worked from 6am until 1am Saturday morning to get it all done. But I did get it done.
So, this is the 2nd day of my 2nd week, and so far so good. I am feeling great--exited to be here! At my old job, I had to wake up at 3:45 (am!), wake my daughter up, bring her over to her dad's and put her back to bed, then get to work by 5. No bueno. Now I can enjoy mornings with her for the 1st time in 2 years! And I plan on volunteering at her school occasionally as well.
I also feel really creatively charged today. I live in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment, so I had to re-arrange everything in order to work here, too (not quite done yet!), and this morning I cleaned up my art area. The business is still new so I don't know what kind of time I will have on my hands, but I'd really like to be able to set aside some regular time, daily or weekly, to paint. I have so many ideas right now! And considering that that is my goal in the long term, I can't continue to fully neglect it for work. Making art is what really feeds my soul; these past few months I haven't been able to do it at all (I'll blog about that another time), and I have felt soulless.
Well, it's time for the grind...and a bit more coffee too!

No comments: