Tuesday, June 17, 2008

This is my Brain on Craft

It appears to be my dining table (yes, I swear it's under there somewhere), but it mirrors the state of my brain. On craft. Here are 10 easy steps to having a brain just like mine:

1. Wake up early, at least 6am, and make the strongest pot of coffee you can stomach. Feed the cat and then stare into space like a zombie while the coffee is brewing.

2. Draw for awhile, forgetting about the cup of coffee. Suddenly remember that you have coffee only to realize that it is now cold. Start to walk into the kitchen to heat it up, turning on the computer on your way.

3. Sit at the computer and check your etsy shops and email. Be so distracted that you don't hear the microwave ding. Suddenly realize that you forgot the coffee again. Pull it out of the microwave only to find that it is, once again, quite cold.

4. Fast forward a little to later morning, work time. Start a custom painting. Decide that you are not sure what to do next with it. Set it aside. Pull out a canvas and put a neutral-toned wash on it for another custom painting. Set it aside to dry. Start making magnets. Realize that the glue needs to dry and set them aside (all of this is happening on a 3 x 3 foot table--very important!).

5. Go get more of your damn cold coffee out of the damn microwave.

6. Check both etsy shops, your email, myspace, twitter, facebook, linkedin, squidoo, flickr, deviantart, craigslist, myspace again, email again, and both etsy shops again.

7. Realize that shipping tomorrow will be much easier if you put together all of the washi paper scrap packs today. Squeeze all of your other projects, coffee cups, vitamins, and housekeys to the perimeter of the table and make a little assembly line of paper packs. Yay paper packs!

8. Put the paper away and finish the 1st painting, then the magnets and tins for the magnets. Clean it all up.

9. Decide you need more coffee. Repeat the early morning process minus the blank zombie stare.

10. Finally, and most importantly, during this entire day, throughout the projects, lukewarm coffee, and obsessive computer checking, scribble notes containing thoughts, ideas, projects, things that need to get done and things that need to be ordered, errands to run, goals, life plans, budgets and more on little scraps of paper and leave them all over the apartment, wherever you happen to be sitting at the time.

Viola! You have now entered the Brain of Lea. Now to figure out how to get out again...I'm sure it's written down here somewhere...maybe on that scrap under my empty coffee cup???

6 comments:

maoiliosa said...

HAHAHA. glad to know i'm not the only one ;).

Amanda said...

This sounds almost exactly like my days!!! Except that I don't have a microwave, so I have to drink my coffee cold if I forget about it. Speaking of which.... ;)

Anonymous said...

It's funny how your day sounds almost exactly like mine, the only difference is I drink tea.

LeaKarts said...

Haha! I'm glad I wrote this--I have found that I am definitely not alone :)

Unknown said...

love this post. similar to my day except i start much (much) later and finish (much) much later. don't know how you can do those 6 am wake ups. easier for me to stay up til 6.

cjbc said...

LOL, I do the same thing with my tea every day!