Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

"Meditation," by Lea Keohane, 2009. All Rights Reserved.

It's Earth Day! As I'm always reminding my daughter, TURNING THE LIGHTS OFF as you leave the room will help the environment a lot. Sorry for the yelling, I just hate feeling like a nag :) Luckily, through the things she learns at school and what I try to teach her, Indigo is really exited about almost anything that will cut back on pollution and help take care of our planet. Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed when I think about our carbon footprints, but then I remember that we can only do so much, yet we each can do SOMEthing that will make a difference. Here are some things we do around our home:

*I usually paint with acrylics, but when I do use oil paints, I clean my brushes with vegetable oil rather than turpentine, and I refuse to use any solvents in my painting.

*I use rags rather than paper towels to wipe paint off of my brushes, and I use the same rag for a really long time. By the time I clean my brush with soap and water, it has very little paint left on it.

*I rarely buy bottled water. When I do, I will wash and re-use the same bottle for as long as possible.

*We use cloth napkins. I got these cute ones on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=11162202

*Every Wednesday, I get a huge stack of paperwork from Indigo's school. It's really frustrating, but the school does need to communicate with parents somehow, so I understand. Paper that is only printed on one side, I cut into quarters and use it as scrap paper. Printed on both sides? Recycle.

*Rather than buying serving-size food items (frozen dinners, snack packs, etc.), I buy larger items and divide them up into small tupperware containers. Same with dinners--I cook a large amount and divvy up the leftovers into portion-sized, washable containers so I can grab food and go when I'm in a hurry (also helps me with my weight!).

*Instead of plastic bags, I use tupperware as much as possible, and re-usable grocery bags. When I do get plastic shopping bags, I use them as trash bags rather than just sticking them into the trash.

That's all I can think of at the moment, although I'm sure there are a couple more. It's a good start! What do you do to help our planet?




No comments: