Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Portraiture & Contest!

Last year around this time, I was painting this. A portrait of my good friend Alisha Marchewka. She is a high school art teacher, and a brilliant artist. So she came up with the idea of painting portraits of each other and exchanging them as holiday presents. Fun! I will have to take a picture of the one she did of me as well--it is really awesome!

I am obviously by no means a photo-realist when it comes to painting. I have the ability to do a pretty life-like rendering if necessary, but it's really just not something that I enjoy. I do, however, love painting people, and as you can see from most of my work it is very figurative. Usually the people I paint are in my head, but I have been thinking a lot lately about doing more portraits. Some that I just randomly want to make, but also custom portraits.

What I would be offering would not be traditional portraiture. It would be highly stylized, like the one above (keep in mind that I know Alisha well & put some of her personality into the painting, which I may not be able to do as much with strangers), or like this one.

Alright, now that you've seen some examples, take a look at the poll at the top right of my blog and cast your vote! Then put a comment in this post to let me know that you voted. On November 23, I will randomly choose 1 voter, who will win a free owl pendant! Thanks for the input!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I voted, I voted! Yay!

LeaKarts said...

p.s. "Yes count me in!" Means awesome idea! Not necessarily that you want one :)

"Yes, but not for me" means you think some people might buy it but you never would.

Thanks everyone, and don't forget to post a comment so you can be entered in the contest!

Field Notes said...

Voted :D

I like your idea and I hope it takes off for you.

Anonymous said...

I voted yes of course! Lea your work is just amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes of course, it's a fantastic idea! And you are an amazing artist!!!

LeaKarts said...

Thanks you guys! I hope I get lots more votes this week! :)

Anonymous said...

Seeing that I am a very lucky recipient of one of your amazing portrait paintings, not to mention one of your subjects, I say, "Hell yes, who wouldn't want one???"

Love ya Lea,
Katie :)

LeaKarts said...

Thanks for playing, everybody! Indigo pulled all of your names out of a hat, and etsy's nakedtile is the winner!!! Congratulations!