Thursday, January 31, 2008

My mom is awesome!


I have probably mentioned before, I live in a tiny, 1-bedroom apartment with my 8 year old. We have divided up the space pretty well, and we live in a sweet neighborhood within walking distance of her school, so most of the time it is worth it. But, my studio space (known within most 70's era apartment as the "kitchen nook") has suffered dearly. I have an easel, a supply cabinet, and for the past couple of years my work table has been the cruddy little 4' x 2' table that I use for craft fairs. Which meant that, while it was great for putting stuff on, there was no extra room to actually do any work, so I was constantly pulling projects into the living room, causing a huge mess and constant kinks in my neck from sitting on the floor.

Which is why I am thankful beyond words for the birthday present my mom gave me this year--a brand-spankin'-new drawing table and a wall-mounted shelf over it. With the craft fair table now stored away for craft fairs (omg I don't have to clear it off for every fair now!), and a real working table, my life has totally changed in the past couple of weeks. It is amazing what a couple of small changes to your workspace can do--I have been so productive I don't even know what to do with myself! I look to my work with pleasure and excitement, rather than with the dread of having to set up, move everything around, and clean up just to do the simplest task. And if I am in the middle of a longer-term project, I can leave it out! Haha!

This proves that, not only is it possible to make use of tiny spaces, it is SO important to love your studio space. I would strongly encourage anyone who feels too cramped or disorganized to do the work you love to look around your space, envision what you would like it to be, and find a way to make it happen.

No comments: