Saturday, July 26, 2008

Vacation!

Ah...vacation :) Indigo and I woke up in the wee hours of Tuesday morning and flew to Denver, where I grew up. It has been quite the whirlwind trip since them, running around with my mom and Oma (grandma), and my aunt who is also visiting. Tomorrow we're driving up to the mountains to visit my dad for a few days, and we're also squeezing in some extra time with my brother, his girlfriend, and my niece, as well as my ex-stepmom. Somehow between all of this family I am also managing to keep my business afloat, checking emails and even shipping supplies, PLUS catching up with old friends!

It all sounds a bit crazy, but I have also managed to sneak in some naps (something I can only seem to do on vacation--normally I can't fall asleep in the afternoon even if I'm tired) and lots of time reading. Now I'm at a local coffee house, about a block away from one of the gazillions of apartments I lived in before I jumped ship for Portland almost 12 years ago.

It is strange, coming back to the place where I grew up. Even though I've been back to visit many times, it feels less like home every time I come here. I am in touch with less people, old businesses have disappeared, the face of the city is constantly changing. More so, my memory has distorted itself. I can't remember names of streets or where they are located, but I give directions to my mom to a post office that I maybe used 5 times in my whole life. I feel odd, comfortable and out of place at the same time. Still, it is good to be back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for vacations! You so deserve it. Take lots and lots of pictures and share all of them! OH, and I was brave enough to put up a picture of my Vermeer copy (in progress) on my journal so you can see it :)

maoiliosa said...

i miss you!

Mary said...

Are you back yet?

Mary said...

Are you home yet? This is intolerable.